1. Father, when we leave your side
And come to live on earth,
We enter time, and space, and mass,
Through pain and blood, in birth.
2. Here, we must face change and growth
Through suffering and loss;
Here, we strive to follow Christ,
By taking up our cross.
3. Here, we long to find again
The bliss we knew above;
Here, we struggle to forgive,
And slowly learn to love.
4. Help us, Lord, in our short lives,
To serve in all we do;
For then, in death, eternally,
Our souls will rest in you.
1. Mortals, born of woman, are of few days and full of trouble (Job 14:1; NIV).
2. If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me (Luke 9:23; NLT).
3. I long for you, O God (Psalm 42:1; NLT).
4. My soul rests in God alone (Psalm 62:1; HNV).