Image: Roy N, Pixabay
The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others
and to give his life as a ransom for many
(Mark 10:45; NLT).
1. Would you forgo your hope of rescue,
So a foreigner is saved?
2. Or forswear your dream of freedom,
So a friend is not enslaved?
3. Would you renounce your chance of healing,
So a neighbour is made whole?
4. Or surrender your survival,
Just to save a stranger’s soul?
5. Would you resign your reign above,
So enemies are welcomed in?
6. Or face death by crucifixion,
Bearing many people’s sin?
7. Would you believe the Father’s promise,
Trusting you will rise anew,
8. And then give up your life for others –
Just as Jesus did, for you?
1. Show love to foreigners (Deuteronomy 10:19; NLT).
2. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends (John 15:13; NLT).
3. Love your neighbour as yourself (Luke 10:27; NLT).
4. Love the stranger (Deuteronomy 10:19; NKJV).
He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole (Isaiah 53:5; RSV).
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners (1 Timothy 1:15; NLT).
5. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being (Philippians 2:6-7; NLT).
Love your enemies! (Matthew 5:44; NLT).
6. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross (Philippians 2:7-8; NLT).
He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness (1 Peter 2:24; NIV).
7. Those who die in the Lord will live; their bodies will rise again! (Isaiah 26:19; NLT).
I trust in God (Psalm 56:11; NLT).
They will mock him, spit on him, flog him with a whip, and kill him, but after three days he will rise again (Mark 10:34; NLT).
8. We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters (1 John 3:16; NLT).