He was pierced for our transgressions (Isaiah 53:5; NIV).
The word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart (Hebrews 4:12; NIV).
1. Pierce my side, Lord, Enter in,
And help me fight
Each urge to sin.
2. Pierce my mind
And come to stay;
Prompt me to keep
Mean thoughts at bay.
3. Pierce my heart, Lord,
Lodge there; rest;
And strengthen me
To face each test.
4. Pierce my soul;
Make it your home;
Then I will be
Your flesh and bone.
1. One of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water (John 19:34; NIV).
Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak (Mark 14:38; NLT).
2. We take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5; NIV).
3. The pain will be so bad it will pierce your heart (Jeremiah 4:18; NET).
Peter’s words pierced their hearts, and they said to him and to the other apostles, “Brothers, what should we do?” (Acts 2:37; NLT).
The Lord tests the heart (Proverbs 17:3; NLT).
Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows (John 16:33; NLT).
4. A sword will pierce your very soul (Luke 2:35; NLT).
Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them” (John 14:23; NLT).
All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it (1 Corinthians 12:27; NLT).