Beginning with Moses and all the Prophets,
he [Jesus] explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures
concerning himself (Luke 24:27; NIV).
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end
(Revelation 21:6; NET).
1. I wish I could walk with you, Lord,
In the cool evening breeze,
2. Then talk with you over a meal,
As we sit at our ease.
3. I wish I could follow your passion,
And stay, Lord, to weep,
4. Then cling to your cold, lifeless hands, Lord,
And kiss your poor feet.
5. I wish I could meet you, then watch
As you break bread, and share,
6. Then gaze on your face, Lord, astonished,
And join you in prayer.
7. I wish I could see your ascension,
And hail your return,
8. Then witness your Kingdom on earth –
But, instead, I must yearn.
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1; NIV).
When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden (Genesis 3:8; NLT).
2. One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to have dinner with him, so Jesus went to his home and sat down to eat (Luke 7:36; NLT).
3. As they led Jesus away, a man named Simon, who was from Cyrene, happened to be coming in from the countryside. The soldiers seized him and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus. A large crowd trailed behind, including many grief-stricken women (Luke 23:26; NLT).
Jesus’ friends, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching (Luke 23:49; NLT).
4. He took the body down from the cross and wrapped it in a long sheet of linen cloth and laid it in a new tomb that had been carved out of rock […] As his body was taken away, the women of Galilee followed and saw the tomb where his body was placed (Luke 23:53,55; NLT).
5. By this time they were nearing Emmaus and the end of their journey. Jesus acted as if he were going on, but they begged him, “Stay the night with us, since it is getting late.” So he went home with them. As they sat down to eat, he took the bread and blessed it. Then he broke it and gave it to them…
6. …Suddenly, their eyes were opened, and they recognised him (Luke 24:28-31; NLT).
7. When the Lord Jesus had finished talking with them, he was taken up into heaven and sat down in the place of honour at God’s right hand (Mark 16:19; NLT).
You, too, must keep watch! For you do not know the day or hour of my return (Matthew 25:13; NLT).
8. Just as my Father has granted me a Kingdom, I now grant you the right to eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom (Luke 22:29-30; NLT).
Then I heard a loud voice shouting across the heavens, “It has come at last – salvation and power and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ” (Revelation 12:10; NLT).
I yearn for the Lord, more than watchmen do for the morning (Psalm 130:6; NET).