Image: Italy Melo, Pexels
When they came to the place called The Skull,
they nailed him to the cross,
[and] Jesus said,“Father, forgive them,
for they don’t know what they are doing”
(Luke 23,33-4. NLT).
1. My anxious brooding
Generates this dread, Lord:
My mind goes through what happened
Without pause –
2. My friend, the one I trusted,
Turned against me,
Attacking me, and wounding,
3. Every time I think of him
Please prompt me
To pray: “Lord, bless my enemy
4. Then leave him in your hand
For my protection,
Whilst you, Lord, heal us both,
With your great love.
1. The churning inside me never stops; days of suffering confront me (Job 30,27. NIV).
2. My close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me (Psalm 41,9. NIV).
They beset me with words of hate, and attack me without cause (Psalm 109,3. RSV).
3. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you (Luke 6.28, NLT).
Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! (Matthew 5,44. NLT).
4. In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind (Job 12,10. NIV).
My God is my rock, in whom I find protection (2 Samuel 22,3. NLT).
By his wounds you are healed (1 Peter 2,24. NLT).
This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends (John 15,13. NLT).