Image: Ruth Kirk
1. This cross, Lord,
Is my closest friend.
2. I’ll bear it daily
Till life’s end,
3. When I must leave
All things behind –
4. Possessions, body,
Heart and mind –
5. Except my spirit,
Which will soar
6. To join with yours,
1. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple (Luke 14:27; RSV).
2. Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me” (Luke 9:23; NLT).
3. God said to him, “You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?” (Luke 12:20; NLT).
4. I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I depart (Job 1:21; NIV).
5. Those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles (Isaiah 40:31; NLT).
We […] will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:17; NLT).
6. The dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it (Ecclesiastes 12:7; NIV).