Hello, everyone. How are you? I’ve been ill with a virus all week, so on top of chronic fatigue etc, I’ve definitely felt tempted to indulge in some self-pity. Today’s prayer is for everyone who ever feels similarly exercised, because feeling sorry for ourselves is something that needs to be fought every step of the way. There are several reasons for this:
1. It is pointless and unproductive.
2. It discourages us from taking responsibility for facing, tackling, or accepting the underlying causes of our suffering.
3. It generates and exacerbates depression.
4. It makes us forget that others suffer too.
5. It encourages us to imagine that our sufferings are more important than those of others.
6. It leads us to concentrate on ourselves, rather than on helping others, and developing mutual support networks.
7. It encourages us to think of ourselves as a victim of unfairness, rather than as simply being challenged by adversity, as everyone is.
8. It makes us very draining to others, and this alone will tend to isolate us over time, leading to further self-pity, which creates a vicious circle.
So, you can see why I was inspired to write a prayer about self-pity!
*And lead us not into temptation (Matthew 6:13; NIV).
You know all about my situation.
You know exactly how I am
In body, mind, heart and soul.
Please help me to resist
The temptation to feel sorry for myself.
Help me to reach out to others,
Serving you in any way I can,
I ask this in Jesus’ holy name,